How to manually migrate a WordPress website to Plesk / Wordpress hosting
This is an advanced guide and may take 1hr+ to complete. Alternatively, we can do this for you, just click here for our guide on how to request a website migration
. Please note that if you follow this guide incorrectly and the site fails to load, our support team won't in this case be able to repair or fix these problems.
You will need
A backup of your WordPress Files
A backup of your WordPress SQL Database
Your Plesk Login Details
- Log into Plesk
, then select Files
on the left side menu and then go into the httpdocs folder.
- Click Upload
and upload your WordPress files in here - there should be folders for wp-content, wp-includes, and wp-admin inside httpdocs folder.
- On the same page, double click on the file wp-config.php and note down the mySQL settings (DB_NAME, DB_USER, and DB_PASSWORD).
- On the left side menu, click on Databases
and then Add Database
- Fill in the details gathered from Step 3
- if the database name and username is different from the wp-config.php file; you will then need to edit the wp-config.php file so they match up.
Afterwards, press OK
- Once the database is created, click on Import Dump
and import the backup of your WordPress SQL Database.
- Next, click on WordPress
on the left side menu and click Scan
to add your WordPress to WordPress Toolkit.
To ensure that the migration was successful, you can change your hosts file to view the website without changing DNS - guide here
Your WordPress installation is now imported into your Plesk server - to view your website, update your Domain's DNS to point to the Plesk server's IP Address.